News

O.J. Simpson wants new trial in ’07 robbery

O.J. Simpson wants new trial in ’07 robbery

NEW TRIAL?:O.J. Simpson watches his former defense attorney Yale Galanter testify during an evidentiary hearing in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nevada May 17, 2013. Simpson's lawyers are trying to get him a new trial in an effort to overturn his 2008 robbery conviction. Photo: Reuters/Ethan Miller

(Reuters) – Lawyers for O.J. Simpson submitted a bulky document requesting a new trial for the former NFL star in an attempt to have his 2008 armed-robbery conviction overturned, court officials said on Thursday.

The attorneys for Simpson, who is not eligible for parole until 2017, filed the opening brief in his December 2013 appeal before a midnight-Wednesday deadline, said Nevada Supreme Court spokesman Michael Sommermeyer.

The document came in at 19,993 words, well over the 14,000 word limit, along with a request to exceed the word count because of the complexity of the case.

Before the brief can be made public, the court will have to accept Simpson’s request to go over the limit, Sommermeyer said.

In 2008, Simpson, 66, was convicted on charges of burglary, robbery, kidnapping and assault while in possession of a deadly weapon related to a 2007 robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers at a Las Vegas hotel.

Simpson testified at the time that he was trying to retrieve items that he believed had been stolen from him.

He was sentenced to up to 33 years by the district court and has been incarcerated at Lovelock Correctional Center since.

He asked for a new trial in May 2013, arguing that he was inadequately represented, but district court judge Linda Bell denied his request. Simpson appealed that ruling to the Nevada Supreme Court in December.

Simpson’s attorney Patricia Palm argued in a motion filed with the brief that his extremely complicated case required more than the 14,000 words allowed by the court. Palm said the court record in his case exceeded 7,000 pages of material, including the 100-page decision Simpson is appealing.

A pro Football Hall of Fame running back for the Buffalo Bills, Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of two counts of murder in the death of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles. He later lost a wrongful death case that was brought by the victims’ families.

Palm could not be immediately reached for comment.

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner)

Recent Headlines

in Music

Concert-goes hospitalized during Keith Urban show

Keith Urban arrives at the 56th annual GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, in Los Angeles.

Things got a bit crazy at Keith Urban's Massachusetts show on Saturday night.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.

in Lifestyle

Amazon offers 3D printing to customize products

A box from Amazon.com is pictured on the porch of a house in Golden, Colorado on July 28, 2008.

Amazon will offer 3D printing services that allow customers to customize and build earrings, bobble head toys and other items.

in Lifestyle

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia

In this 2014 photo provided by the Samaritan's Purse aid organization, Dr. Kent Brantly, left, treats an Ebola patient at the Samaritan's Purse Ebola Case Management Center in Monrovia, Liberia. On Saturday, July 26, 2014, the North Carolina-based aid organization said Brantly tested positive for the disease and was being treated at a hospital in Monrovia.

American doctor, Kent Brantley, has tested positive for the tropical disease Ebola.