News

Boston airport apologizes after 9/11 safety drill

Boston airport apologizes after 9/11 safety drill

Photo: clipart.com

BOSTON (Reuters) – A training drill at Boston’s Logan International Airport involving fire crews on an airport tarmac on Wednesday – the 12th anniversary of the September 11 attacks – drew quick criticism and prompted an apology from airport officials.

“Safety and security is our top priority and constant vigilance and readiness is critical, but the exercise should not have taken place on the anniversary of 9/11,” the airport said in a statement on Wednesday.

Airport officials had warned the public that the exercise, which involved emergency response personnel, would be held on the airfield and smoke would be visible. It did not interfere with flight operations, but the move drew criticism on the airport’s Facebook page.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick also criticized the decision to hold the exercise on the anniversary of the attacks, when two hijacked airliners destroyed the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York, one damaged the Pentagon and one crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.

Almost 3,000 people died in the attacks. Two of the jets had taken off from Boston.

“It’s just dumb,” Patrick told reporters when asked about the timing of the event, according to local media. “The timing could not have been worse.”

Recent Headlines

in Sports, Viral Videos

John Oliver explains English soccer

Fresh
20-overlay

The "Last Week Tonight" host explains the class system of English soccer to David Letterman.

in Entertainment

Jimmy Kimmel is the Internet’s most dangerous man

kimmel

Searching for the late-night comedian may be hazardous to your hard drive.

in Entertainment

‘Rush Hour’ could be headed to the small screen

rushhour

The series will reportedly follow the style of the movies.

in Music

George Jones museum planned for Nashville

georgejones

The late country legend will be honored with a museum featuring a music venue.

in Music

Glen Campbell sued over Alzheimer’s documentary

glencampbell

Bosses at a production house claim the new documentary violates an agreement the ailing singer signed in 2011.