Downtown Jonesboro may have been saved thanks to the heroic efforts of a Jonesboro man. It happened shortly before 5 Thursday afternoon. Local radio personality Trey Stafford was visiting with businessman John Frankel at his International Tours office on main Street when Stafford thought he smelled smoke. After a brief investigation – mainly opening the back door – Stafford discovered a fire on the wooden porch of a neighboring business. Stafford said he saw a man wearing a tie was desperately trying to put out the fire, which was blazing and smoking. That’s when Stafford said his keen sense of emergency preparedness kicked in, and he used his cell phone to call 911.
After making the call, Stafford, Frankel, Frankel’s colleague Lee Ann Clay and other business neighbors began grabbing anything they could to douse the fire. Two small fire extinguishers were used, but the fire wouldn’t go out. That’s when Stafford made the second 911 call telling authorities – “you better get here, this fire is getting bigger!” Stafford said one of the business neighbors then located a disconnected red water hose. One of the neighbors hooked the hose to a nearby hydrant and was able to knock down the blaze as the first of five Jonesboro Fire Department vehicles responded. A short time later firemen were able to extinguish the remaining hot spots. After the incident Stafford, while posing for a photo with firemen from Engine 6, said “I was just doing what any good citizen would do. Please, no heroic community awards.” Others didn’t take the incident lightly. Jonesboro Parks and Recreation Wixson Hufstedler, downtown to enjoy a quiet dinner with his wife, learned of Stafford’s actions and said, “if the world could only have more Trey Staffords in it, it would be a better place.” Firemen said the fire apparently started when boxes, paint cans and containers of paint thinners ignited, possibly due to a errant cigarette. 104.9 The Fox News is attempting to obtain copies of Stafford’s heroic 911 calls! :)