News

Rescue efforts underway after landslides hit New Zealand campground and house with 2 confirmed dead

In this image from a video, rescuers and fire crews work near the site of a landslide at the base of Mount Maunganui on New Zealand’s North Island, Thursday, Jan. 22, 2026. (TVNZ via AP) Photo: Associated Press


By ROD McGUIRK Associated Press
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Landslides hit a house and a campground in New Zealand on Thursday, leaving at least two dead while emergency crews were trying to rescue others buried in rubble, officials said.
The first hit a house in the community of Welcome Bay on New Zealand’s North Island at 4:50 a.m., police said. Two people escaped the house, and the bodies of two who were trapped inside were recovered hours later, Emergency Management Minister Mark Mitchell said.
Later the same morning, emergency services were called to a second slide at the base of nearby Mount Maunganui. The rubble hit Beachside Holiday Park in a town named after the extinct volcano. Images showed vehicles, travel trailers and an amenities block crushed by debris.
Police Superintendent Tim Anderson said the number of people missing was in the “single figures.”
No survivors or bodies had been recovered by late Thursday from the Mount Maunganui rubble, where dogs were being used to sniff for human victims, Mitchell said.
“There was a shower block and a, sort of, combined shower block-kitchen block and there were people using that at the time the slide came through and they are some of the ones that we’re working hard to try and recover now,” Mitchell told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
Further north near Warkworth, a man was missing after floodwaters swept him from a road Wednesday morning as heavy rain lashed large swathes of the North Island, a police statement said.
New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon urged residents in affected areas to heed local authorities’ safety advice during the extreme conditions.
“Extreme weather continues to cause dangerous conditions across the North Island. Right now, the government is doing everything we can to support those impacted,” Luxon posted on social media.
Fire and Emergency NZ commander William Pike said there were some signs of life immediately after the Mount Maunganui slide.
“Members of the public … tried to get into the rubble and did hear some voices,” Pike told reporters. “Our initial fire crew arrived and … were able to hear the same. Shortly after our initial crew arrived, we withdrew everyone from the site due to possible movement and slip.”
Mayor Mahe Drysdale said those unaccounted earlier had included people who had left the campground without notifying authorities. The campground was closed after the disaster.
Australian tourist Sonny Worrall said he was lazing in a hot pool within the campground when he heard then saw the landslide.
“I looked behind me and there’s a huge landslide coming down. And I’m still shaking from it now,” Worrall told New Zealand’s 1News news service. “I turned around and I had to jump out from my seat as fast as I could and just run.”
He looked back to see the rubble carrying a travel trailer behind him.
“It was like the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in my life,” Worrall said.
___
This version has corrected the location where a landslide hit a house, to Welcome Bay, not Bay of Plenty.

This Week in Jonesboro

Recent Headlines

8 hours ago in Arts & Culture, Lifestyle, News

A-State Museum to host annual Through a Child’s Eyes exhibition 

“Most every day, small children see something for the first time…and their brains go bananas with joy and curiosity,” says museum educator Jill Kary.

1 day ago in Arts & Culture, Entertainment, News

A-State Theatre debuts Dolly Parton’s ‘9 to 5: The Musical’ 

Arkansas State University's Department of Theatre will begin the Spring semester with a production of "9 to 5: The Musical," featuring music by Dolly Parton.

1 day ago in Education, Lifestyle, News

A first-of-its-kind sensory gym is coming to Jonesboro

sensory gym

Zachary’s Sensory Gym will be a membership-based, nonprofit play area and event space for special needs individuals.

1 day ago in Olympics, Sports, Trending

Alysa Liu dazzles to win figure skating gold, ending a 24-year Olympic drought for US women

The 20-year-old from the San Francisco Bay Area, who walked away from the sport before finding her way back again — and finding herself in the process — delivered the U.S. its first women's figure skating gold medal in 24 years.

1 day ago in Entertainment

Eric Dane, ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star and ALS awareness advocate, dies at 53

Eric Dane, the celebrated actor best known for his roles on "Grey's Anatomy" and "Euphoria" and who later in life became an advocate for ALS awareness, died Thursday. He was 53.